After spending all last Monday doing a test strip for an aquatint, I thought I would end the day with a little abstract monoprinting! Above are the results left on the table! Not on paper sadly. It seems that just when you have to clear up, interesting things start to happen. At least I have the photos.
I have decided that I need to stop doing drypoints for now because I spend hours drawing on the plate and can only get a few prints. I am trying to learn how achieve a similar effect by using etching and aquatint. Needless to say I haven’t succeeded yet, but it’s early days. Since I have basically messed up a plate, I thought I would just experiment with differing techniques. On this plate is an aquatint of varying bites, a hard and soft ground etching and some scraping out of the aquatint. I ran out of time today to make anything of it, but at least I am learning.
|First print after adding the soft ground. Note the scraping out in the middle.|
|I added another soft ground and drew into it more and etched it for 30 minutes|
|The many stages of tarlatan or scrim|